Last Reckless Drive (An Uplifting Poem)


[All photos by myself, Dan Cuzzo, unless specified]
  
If in my engine I’m burning you
and I choke on your name,
if voices curse in silent prayer
not to bless those in accidents on the road,
but to fixate on the absence of a passenger,
the numb restless hands I casually trade for
a single thumb on the wheel
reveal the empty palms I blame
for not looking above the highway.

Like a car battery I’ve powered the nav
while driving through red lights
forgetting to signal and making wrong rights.
Kicking the tire I wait for your wire
the jump that gets me to the shop.
I don’t deserve roadside assistance
you have every right to be a cop, but you:

do not tell me I’m careless with the battery,
do not tell me I burn too much and take in so little,
you whittle away at my bundle of nerves
re-power the stereo that occasionally plays gospel;
you say all can be fixed.


Comments

Popular Posts