My Experience: Unrequited Love is Not Romantic

..........In 2014 I titled this picture "A Night of Tears"
........Now, I would change it to "A Nerd's Night of Tears"
I was 22 and answering personality questions on okaycupid.  I had already aced the “wherefore art thou Romeo” question unaided by google.  I stumbled over the sex questions because they assumed I had sexual experience.  And finally, I arrived at the divisive one:  the question that separates teenage Dan from the adult version.
To you, which adjective best describes hopeless, unrequited love?
·        Romantic
·        Foolish
·        Creepy
Prior to 2011 I would have ascribed nobility, romance, selflessness and a degree of faith to “hopeless, unrequited love.”  I would never call it creepy, with just the information provided, but for the past nine years my opinion has stood firmly in the “foolish” category.  Did I become jaded as I grew older?  Perhaps, but here’s 7 reasons for my belief that unrequited love is not romantic.

#1 Energy is a Resource
As I write this post, I’m uninstalling gigabytes of unused files, from my computer, for learning C# programming.  Earlier, I had cleaned up my documents folder and found a poem about Sarah.  Who on earth is Sarah? I asked myself.  A few lines of the bad poem reminded me of a crush I had on another young woman with a boyfriend.  In retrospect, was I better off writing poems for someone unavailable or learning a useful skill that could be very helpful in my job search today?  Wasted energy can be unromantic.

It seems strange to do a cost benefit analysis for our own romantic feelings but we should not respect their autonomy.  While it’s a conversation starter to be able to say, I ran into a cayote in the woods at night, it does not offset the fact that I put myself in danger just to deal with unreciprocated feelings.  Energy is not unlimited:  best put our eggs in a sturdy basket for the right recipient(s).  How do we know the right recipient(s)?  See point #2!

#2 The Right People Make Us Better People
This might seem obvious, but when romantic feelings are involved this fly on the wall can be hard to notice.  It took three years for me to realize I had romantic feelings for a person that was unhealthy for me.  I focused on one perceived good thing I couldn’t live without, while the rest my world crumbled around me and that just made me need that perception to survive.  This, was a depreciation of self-worth:  the opposite of becoming a better person.

The years I spent unravelling this knotted cord could have been avoided by some common sense entering the romantic portion of my mind or heart.  When we feel good, safe, or our own interpretation of the word loved, it’s easier to be the best version of ourselves.

#3 Ideas vs. Reality
As an aspiring fantasy-romance novelist, my imagination normalized waltzing on-top of a lake, spores that glow at night just to sparkle and highlight the shortening distance between two people and that singing can be spontaneous, improvised and harmonious if there are mutually strong feelings.  Over a decade later I still believe romance can have its magical moments.  Yet I’ve found the magic in moments that are imperfect, the beauty within something unsuccessful and the inglorious return to home base.  While fantasy is still favored over reality in my life, I’ve learned to moderate the exchange between the two.

#4 Time, Knowledge & Experience
Chance is a necessary and exciting part of life, however, do risks need to be blind?  Perhaps there is a reason small talk exists, and it need not always be criticized.  Morality, psychology and innovation were things I loved to talk about.  Yet, there was literally no buildup:  “hi, you look like someone who would be good at sword fighting”.  This young man ended up thinking I was trying to ask if he was gay.  Misunderstandings are much more common without time, knowledge and experience. 

#5Why are Feelings Strong?
Are feelings strong because they occupy our thoughts to the exclusion of all else?  Are feelings strong because we’ve come to depend on them?  Or are feelings strong because we’ve built them brick by brick from mutual learning and understanding?  Unrequited love can rarely claim a level of learning and understanding to justify the prominence and dependency of our feelings.

#6 It Takes More Than One
I used to think my love could inspire the love others had inside.  While this might be a good philosophy, it’s unlikely to generate and maintain a romance.  A relationship can be challenging enough with two people rowing the oars.  With one person paddling and the other watching the scenery, or both paddling in different directions, little is achieved for the exertion.


#7 Opposites Don’t Always Attract
It seems romantic to have feelings for someone in a radically different social circle.  While this does happen and can work, it requires compromise.  I had my own idea what was right and I expected someone I had strong feelings for to be that.  I’ve also been on the opposite end:  someone I had no romantic interest in telling me this is what you should have said, expecting me to conform to the fantasy she wanted.  We all have our secret desires, but I truly believe it can be more rewarding to have a pleasant surprise than our secret fantasies to come true exactly as we envisioned.

Conclusion:  I wrote this months ago, put it down, thought I’d never finish and then decided I’d give it one more try tonight.  This inconsistency is not unlike efforts to progress a love or dating life.  For the longest time I wanted something above all else.  I’m years past the point of longing for something I do not have.  It’s not a matter of jealousy.  The right person for me is not interchangeable nor an image in my mind.  This person would be impossible to describe/predict accurately except that they reciprocate.

Comments

Popular Posts